The original recipe for this came from John Stewart's dad. In areas where his dad said "Add until it tastes right", I referred to other recipes I found on the internet and in my cookbooks, as I wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to taste like. I think it turned out rather tasty and extremely unhealthy for you - a winning combination.
5 lb Idaho or red potatoes
1 lb bacon, diced
2 medium onion (not sweet or Vidalia), diced
4 stalks celery, diced
12 large eggs, hard boiled, diced
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbs salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
- Wash and boil potatoes.
- Fry bacon. Remove bacon from pan but keep the bacon grease.
- Saute onions and celery in bacon grease. Remove onions and celery but keep the bacon grease.
- Dice potatoes. Put potatoes, bacon, onions and celery in a 2 gallon pot (minimum size).
- To make dressing, add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to bacon grease and stir until well blended and sugar has dissolved. Heat if necessary.
- Pour dressing over everything in pot. Gently mix everything together. (You don't want to end up with mashed potato salad.)
- Transfer to your serving dish and eat. Leftovers (if you have any) are good both cold and reheated. I prefer reheated.